Coventry Artspace has posted an opportunity
Application Closing Date: 31 August 2022
Background Coventry Artspace is delighted to be working with Coventry born artist/activist Hardish Virk to catalogue and promote his remarkable archive of South Asian artefacts. We have recently secured National Heritage Lottery Fund funding to support the first stage of a project called, Stories That Made Us, inspired by both Hardish’s archive, and that of his father’s, The Virk Collection, held at The Herbert Art Gallery. This project aims to:
- Celebrate the diversity of local, regional and national South Asian stories within British history
- Challenge stereotypes by promoting dialogue, discussion and understanding of the richness of South Asian heritage
- Increase awareness and engagement with both the Virk Collection and the additional archive belonging to Hardish Virk
- Collect feedback and learning from the engagement that can inform future activities centred around both archives
As part of the project we are seeking to commission 2 x Visual Artists, Designers or Illustrators to produce unique designs that can be used to support the promotion of the project.
Commision Brief The successful candidates will each produce a unique design inspired by and celebrating one of the themes of the archive:
- Alternatively, the candidate could produce a design based on a key object from the archive.
Alongside their design, the successful candidates will also produce a short blog or vlog explaining why they chose the theme or object they did, the connection between the item, their design/image and their own heritage and lived experience. Support expertise will be as required to complete this part of the task.
For more information on the archive held by Hardish Virk and the project please visit: https://coventry-artspace.co.uk/projects/stories-that-made-us/. Successful candidates will be given full access to the archive.
The designs will be used solely by Coventry Artspace to promote the project, and potentially to create bespoke merchandise, which may be sold to support future project activities.
Selection Criteria Consideration will be given to the quality of the applicant's portfolio and the likely suitability of their designs for applications described above.
The ideal candidates will:
- Be practising Artists, Designers or Illustrators with a high-quality portfolio
- Have experience of producing designs for promotion and/or retail
- Have a lived experience of, or connection to, Coventry
- Have a lived experience of South Asian heritage
Please send a covering letter or video (no more than 2 minutes) outlining your interest in the role, your skills and experience relevant to the Commission Brief and Person Specification, the medium you work in and if you have a preferred ‘theme’ for your design.
- CV with contact details for at least one referee to comment on your work
- A website link or PDF document giving examples of your work
Please submit your application to [email protected] Please mark your email with the subject heading ‘Visual Artists/Designers/Illustrators Application’. Emails should not exceed 15mb.
If you would like support with this application, or you have questions about it, please contact Coventry Artspace: Email: [email protected] (please put STMU Call Out in the subject line) Tel: 024 7655 3533